Dr. Md. Mahfuzur Rahman is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, International University of Business Agriculture and Technology (IUBAT), Dhaka, Bangladesh. He received his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from IUBAT in 2014 and then started his academic career in his alma mater in the same year. Prior to joining IUBAT as a Lecturer in 2014, Mr. Rahman worked as a Research Assistant (RA) in the Civil Engineering Department at IUBAT. He obtained his Master of Science in Water Resources Engineering (Hydrology) from Hohai University in 2018 and a PhD in Hydrology from the University of Chinese Academy Sciences (Ranked one globally based on Nature Index) in 2021. During his PhD tenure, Dr. Rahman was awarded the outstanding research student award in 2020 from his lab.
Dr. Rahman has published over 25 peer-reviewed papers in prestigious international journals (SCI, EI, and Scopus) and conference proceedings (Scopus). The significance of his work is evident in his recent publications in three leading peer-reviewed international journals: Journal of Cleaner Production (Impact Factor: 9.297), Journal of Environmental Management (Impact Factor: 6.789), and Geoscience Frontiers (Impact Factor: 6.853). His work is highly recognized in the academic area. In addition, he acts as a reviewer for numerous international journals, i.e., Journal of Hydrology, Journal of Environmental Management, Journal of Mountain Science, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, Natural Hazards, Geo-spatial Information Science, Scientific African, Acta Geodynamica et Geomaterialia, Water Resource Management, etc. His research interests include advanced remote sensing techniques, hydraulic modeling, machine learning, and deep learning algorithms in natural hazards and statistical modeling. Dr. Rahman is an affiliated member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
1. Mahfuzur Rahman, Ningsheng Chen, Md Monirul Islam et al. Development of flood hazard map and emergency relief operation system using hydrodynamic modeling and machine learning algorithm. Journal of Cleaner Production. (SCI, Q1, IF: 9.297).
2. Mahfuzur Rahman, Ningsheng Chen, Md Monirul Islam et al. Location-allocation modeling for emergency evacuation planning with GIS and remote sensing: a case study of northeast Bangladesh. Geoscience Frontiers (2021). (SCI, Q1, IF: 6.853).
3. Mahfuzur Rahman, Chen Ningsheng, Golam Iftekhar Mahmud, Md Monirul Islam et al. Flooding and its relationship with land cover change, population growth, and road density. Geoscience Frontiers (2021). (SCI, Q1, IF: 6.853).
4. Mahfuzur Rahman, Chen Ningsheng, Ahmed Elbeltagi, Md Monirul Islam et al. Application of stacking hybrid machine learning algorithms in delineating multi-type flooding in Bangladesh. Journal of Environmental Management. (SCI, Q1, IF: 6.789).
5. Mahfuzur Rahman, Chen Ningsheng, Md Monirul Islam et al. Flood susceptibility assessment in Bangladesh using machine learning and multi-criteria decision analysis. Earth Systems and Environment 3(3) (2019): 585-601. (EI and ESCI).
6. Hilal Ahmad, Chen Ningsheng, Mahfuzur Rahman, Md Monirul Islam et al. Geohazards susceptibility assessment along the Upper Indus Basin using four machine learning and statistical models. ISPRS Journal of Geo-information. (SCI, Q3, IF: 2.899).
7. Shufeng Tian, Chen Ningsheng, Hua Wu, Chengye Yang, Zheng Zhong, Mahfuzur Rahman. New insights into the occurrence of the Baige landslide along the Jinsha River in Tibet. Landslides (2020): 1-10. (SCI, Q2, IF: 6.578).
8. Liu Mei, Zhang Yong, Tian Shufeng, Chen Ningsheng, Mahfuzur Rahman et al. Effects of loose deposits on debris flow processes in the Aizi Valley, southwest China. Journal of Mountain Science 17(1) (2020): 156-172. (SCI, Q3, IF: 2.071).
9. Rana Muhammad Ali Washakh, Chen Ningsheng, Wang Tao, Sundas Almas, Sajid Rashid Ahmad, Mahfuzur Rahman. GLOF Risk Assessment Model in the Himalayas: A Case Study of a Hydropower Project in the Upper Arun River. Water 11(9) (2019): 1839. (SCI, Q3, IF: 3.103).
10. MehtabAlam, Jiang Yaun-Jun, Su Li-Jun, Sadiq Shamsher, Li Jia-Jia, Mahfuzur Rahman. Scaling the Roots Mechanical Reinforcement in Plantation of Cunninghamia R. Br in Southwest China. Forests 2021(12): 33. (SCI, Q3, IF: 2.633).
11. Kanglin Wu, Chen Ningsheng, Guisheng Hu, Zheng Han, Huayong Ni, Mahfuzur Rahman. Failure mechanism of the Yaoba loess landslide on March 5, 2020, the early-spring dry spell in Southwest China. Landslides (2021): XXX. (SCI, Q2, IF: 6.578).
12. Md Monirul Islam, Mahfuzur Rahman et al. Development of multi-hazards map for Bangladesh using GIS technique. IUBAT Review.
13. Md Monirul Islam, Mahfuzur Rahman et al. Vulnerability Analysis for Sustainable Development against Flood Hazard and Relief Distribution: A Case Study of 2017 Flood of Bangladesh. IUBAT Review.
14. Syed Fahad Hussain Shah, Chen Ningsheng, Raja Hammad Ahmad, MehtabAlam, HilalAhmad, Mahfuzur Rahman. Probabilistic seismic hazardanalysis of Hazara Kashmir syntaxes and its surrounding. Journal of Geological Society of India. (SCI, Q1, IF: 1.459)
15. Jules Maurice Habumugisha, Ningsheng Chen, Mahfuzur Rahman, Ahmed Elbeltagi, Md Monirul Islam et al. How deep learning algorithms help identifying precise landslide locations? Catena. (SCI, Q1, IF: 5.198). [Under review]
16. Shufeng Tian, Guisheng Hu, Chen Ningsheng, Mahfuzur Rahman et al. Extreme climate and tectonic controls on the generation of a large-scale, low-frequency debris flow.Catena. (SCI, Q1, IF: 5.198). [Under review]
17. Shufeng Tian, Ningsheng Chen, Mahfuzur Rahman et al. New insights into the occurrence of a catastrophic slope debris flow in the dry valley of Hengduan Mountains, Southwest China. Landslides (2021): XXX. (SCI, Q2, IF: 6.578).
18. Chen Ningsheng,Shufeng Tian, Fawu Wang, Guisheng Hu, Mingfeng Deng, Runing Hou, Lihong Liu, Miaoyuan Xiao, Enlong Liu, Mahfuzur Rahman et al.Drivers of the multi-wing butterfly effect on landslides. PNAS (2021): XXX. (SCI, Q1, IF: 9.580).[Under review]
19. Chen Ningsheng, Liu Mei, Christian Huggle, Simon Allen, Deng Minfeng, Narendra Raj Khanal, Mahfuzur Rahman et al. Extreme climate and earthquakes jointly drive glacial lake outburst disasters in Himalayas. Cryosphere (2021): XXX. (SCI, Q1, IF: 5.771).[Under review]
20. MehtabAlam, Su Lijun, Shamsher Sadiq, Muhammad Umar, Li Jia Jia, Mahfuzur Rahman. Effects of RootOrientation on the Strength Characteristics of Loess in Drained and Undrained Triaxial Tests. Engineering Geology (2021): XXX. (SCI, Q1, IF: 6.755).
21. MehtabAlam, Su Lijun, Shamsher Sadiq, Muhammad Umar, Li Jia Jia, Mahfuzur Rahman et al.Influence of drainage and root biomass on soil mechanical behavior in triaxial tests. Acta Geotechnica (2021): XXX. (SCI, Q1, IF: 5.856).
22. Mahfuzur Rahman, Md Monirul Islam.Evaluation of Residential Water Conservation Practice of Dhaka Bangladesh. IUBAT Review.
23. Yunjian Gao, Siyuan Zhao, Jianhui Deng, Zhiqiu Yu, Mahfuzur Rahman. Flood assessment and early warning of the reoccurrence of river blockage at the Baige landslide. Journal of Geographical Sciences. (SCI, Q1, IF: 3.543).
1.Flood hazard assessment of Bangladesh: A Case Study of 2017 Flood. The Second International Symposium on Hydraulic Modeling and Measuring Technology 2018, Nanjing, China.
2.Development of multi-hazard vulnerability map of Bangladesh using geographic information system. The Second International Symposium on Hydraulic Modeling and Measuring Technology 2018, Nanjing, China.
3.Vulnerability Analysis for Sustainable Development against Flood Hazard and ReliefDistribution: A Case Study of 2017 Flood of Bangladesh. 13thInternational Knowledge Globalization Conference 2018, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
4.Scopes and Challenges of Hydro-Climatic Condition in Bangladesh: A Review Considering Natural Variability and Future Changes.13thInternational KnowledgeGlobalization Conference 2018, Dhaka, Bangladesh.